Areas of Special Competence
Mark provides consulting, research and analysis for multi-state clients in energy, energy services, manufacturing and professional services on income/franchise filing positions including apportionment factor sourcing (e.g. cost of performance sourcing of services), business/non-business allocations and unitary filing issues.
He advises clients in the energy, manufacturing and professional services sectors on sales and use tax solutions and taxability related to both new facility construction but also maintenance and operations. Mark has extensive experience in representing these clients in sales and use tax audits.
Mark has managed multiple discretionary and statutory credit engagements for large privately-held and publicly-traded businesses. Discretionary incentive engagements include property tax abatements, sales and use tax credits/refunds, job training credits, as well as other discretionary economic development grants for energy and manufacturing businesses. He has participated in Texas Enterprise Zone project designation and sales/use tax refunds for Fortune 100 energy company-largest tax credit in program history.
- American Bar Association, Tax Subcommittee
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Bar Association of U.S. Fifth Circuit and all Louisiana Federal Courts
- Greater Houston Partnership – Annual Tax Summit, Chairman, 2010, 2011
- Chairman, Franchise and Income State Tax Committee - 2006
- "What You Don't Know Can Hurt You: Nexus, Sales Tax and Mid-Cap Businesses" - PKF Texas
- "Emerging Tax Issues from Texas to Timbuktu" – UHY Advisors Fall Tax Symposium
- "Recent Developments Related to the Texas Franchise Tax" – Houston Tax Executives Institute – State and Local Tax Sub-Committee
- "Texas Franchise Tax and Property Tax: How the Biggest Tax Increase in Texas History Could Actually Save Taxpayer's Money" – American Society of Women Accountants, Houston, Texas
JD, Juris Doctorate
Pannell Kerr Forster of Texas, P.C., Houston, TX
Director, 2012 - Present
Senior Manager, 2009-2011
Duff & Phelps, Houston, TX
UHY Advisors, LLC, Houston, TX
Ernst & Young, Houston, Texas
Arthur Andersen, Houston, Texas
Louisiana State University – Bachelor of Arts 1993
Louisiana State University – Paul M. Hebert Law Center – Juris Doctor 1996