Note: Running Fridays in FromGregsHead.com, is a continuing series of tips brought to you by Greg Price. These run Saturday mornings during the BusinessMaker’s Radio Show on KPRC 950AM. Audio files can be found on the PKF Texas – Entrepreneur’s Playbook® page of the PKF Texas website.
If you want to put the fear into a room of executives, ask them the following question, “Why would anyone want to be led by you?” In today’s fast paced, self-empowered employee world, that question creates Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt, (FUD) within a room of executives,
Before you can be a great leader, I believe you need to take stock of yourself in these key areas:
• Self Assessment-Knowing your own emotions, strengths, weaknesses, drives, and values.
• Self Control-Controlling your own emotions and redirecting yourself when it becomes disruptive.
• Driven-Having an internal engine that works, showing passion, a can do attitude and accountability.
• Empathetic-Making sure your team understands that you are considering them, their situations and ideas.
• Social-Being persuasive and building consensus around an idea and getting your team to buy in.
You will note that technical expertise is not listed in these areas. These traits of success have more to do with your emotional intelligence (EI). A Harvard Business Review study showed that “EI” as it’s commonly referred to, has shown that organizations with a high degree of emotional intelligence have outperformed the yearly goals by as much as 20%.
How strong is your EI? Do you know what your EI is? To be a leader, you will need followers. Make sure you and your followers have addressed where you think your EI stands today.