Sonia Freeman, CPA, CGMA
CO-CREATE | CO-DEVELOP | DELIVER
A Houston-based firm of CPAs and professional advisors co-developing solutions with our clients at every stage of the business life cycle.
Sonia Freeman was elected in January 2018 to serve the firm as its Chief Culture Officer. She is responsible for maintaining the culture and operations of the firm. She continues to serve on the firm’s management committee and will continue to serve clients.
Sonia’s background includes audit, review and advisory services for private equity-backed and privately held businesses. Her areas of concentration include wholesale and retail distribution, manufacturing, energy services, health care, technology and employee benefit plans.
She is also on the employee benefit plan team, which focuses on financial audit and reporting for employee benefit plans, including defined contribution, defined benefit, and health and welfare plans. Sonia has 30+ years working with employee benefit plans.
- Oilfield Services
- Health Care
- Employee Benefit Plans
CPA, Certified Public Accountant, 1985
CGMA, Chartered Global Management Accountant, 2012
Pannell Kerr Forster of Texas, P.C., Houston, TX
Chief Culture Officer, 2018 - Present
Audit Practice Leader, 2004 - 2018
Audit Director, 1998 - Present
Audit Associate to Senior Manager, 1985 - 1997
Joint Venture Strategic Advisors (JVSA), Houston, TX; Calgary, Canada
Shareholder and Board of Directors, 2015 – Present
University of Houston, Clear Lake, TX
Bachelor of Science - Accounting, 1983
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Greater Houston Partnership - Executive Women’s Partnership
- Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants – Houston Chapter
- Women's Finance Exchange – Past President and Treasurer
- Women’s Presidents Organization – Houston Chapter
- YWCA Houston – Board of Directors, Chair of Finance Committee
- Leading Edge Alliance – Audit SIG, Women in Leadership Development SIG, Employee Benefit Plan SIG
- Habitat For Humanity - Gulf Winds - Volunteer
- Clear Lake Chamber of Commerce
- PKF Texas Journalism Advisory Group
- PKF University Taskforce
- American Lung Association - Board Member
- Allinial Global Executive Working Group
- Allinial Global Leadership Progression 6 completion - Harvard
- “Strategies for Business Owners” – Ellevate Network Leadership Luncheon
- “Top 10 Mistakes Women Make with Money” – Greater Houston Women’s Chamber of Commerce
- Lecturer – PKF National Continuing Professional Education Program
- Lecturer – PKF University
- Lecturer for Clients and Associations – “Understanding Your Financial Statements—KPIs” – Sterling Group
- “Employee Benefit Plans: Operations, Liabilities and Protections” – Houston Business Journal, January 5, 2015
- “Generational Viewpoints” – AccountingToday, May 2013
- “Risk and oversight of employee benefit plans” – Leading Edge Magazine, Winter 2010
- “Small businesses break free of ‘border’ mentality and grow globally" – quoted – Leading Edge Magazine, Spring 2005
- Contributing author for not-for-profit blog posts – theCPADesk.com
Video Series – PKF Texas – The Entrepreneur’s Playbook®:
- Employee Benefit Plan Audits: Correcting Operational Mistakes
- 401K Plans and Reducing Operational Mistakes
- Honoree, "Women Who Mean Business," Houston Business Journal, 2018
- CPA All-Star, CPA Magazine, 2003
Why did you choose to be a CPA and/or advisor?
I have always had an interest in business and enjoyed numbers, so it was a natural choice for me. Also, my high school accounting teacher encouraged me to pursue a career in accounting, so it was never even a question for me.
What do you like best about helping clients?
One of the most rewarding things for me is when a client reaches out to discuss a potential transaction before they enter into it. The accounting treatment can sometimes yield a result that is not as intuitive as you might think.
What energizes you about working at PKF Texas?
It is rewarding to watch our young team members build and develop their talents and careers here at PKF Texas. To see someone start as an intern and then grow into a management role is truly a lot of fun.
Where are you from?
I grew up south of Houston in the Galveston County community of Texas City/LaMarque.
What do you do in your spare time?
Spare time—what's that? My husband and I spent most of our time raising our two daughters with all of their activities, and even though we are officially "empty nesters," we continue to spend time with our family.
What's your favorite season?
Love any season that has cooler weather in Houston!
Do you own any pets?
Lucie, a Jack Russell Terrier, is a member of our family. Although she has been in our family for over 10 years, neighbors and friends still say we have such a cute puppy. She is a high-energy dog.
What's your favorite vacation destination?
We used to love action-packed vacations, but now, as long as there is a good book, a lounge chair and an umbrella -- that is the definition of a favorite vacation destination!
- Brian Baumler, CPA
- Rafael Carsalade, CPA
- Martin Euson, JD
- Sonia Freeman, CPA, CGMA
- Matthew Goldston, CPA, CM&AA, CVA
- Annabella Green, SPHR, SHRM-SCP, AAAPM
- Kenneth Guidry, CPA
- Chris Hatten, CPA, CM&AA, CVA
- Byron Hebert, CPA, CTP
- Nikki Homratsamy, CPA
- Ryan Istre, CPA
- Frank Landreneau, CPA
- Marty Lindle, CPA
- Sam Razmandi, CPA
- Chip Schweiger, CPA, CGMA
- Jim Streets, CPA
- Danielle Supkis Cheek, CPA, CFE, CVA
- Michael Veuleman, CPA
- Gary Voth, CPA, JD
- J. Del Walker, CPA